Soul Stimulation is not your average blog, its a resource of motivation for your soul (YOUR mind, YOUR will, YOUR emotions). Allow the articles, which are written by various writers, to incite your dormant places and excite your bored places. No matter your race, gender, religion, sexuality, or age...become reinvented as your soul becomes stimulated.



Inevitable Darkness

While growing up in the islands I was quite familiar with lights being out. Being prepared for an electricity issue was a year round practice- somewhat like life. When the lights go off in life it seems like they go all at once. Confusion, depression, anger, frustration all seem to avalanche at once. Last Sunday I left church, and ooh was the spirit of God flowing. I did all the antics; jumped- check, twirled around- check, danced, spoke, in tongues and even ran around the church- check, check, check. Then darkness struck.

This Sunday during praise and worship they sang the song about oceans rising and thunders roaring, voices belt out "I will soar with you above the storm". It was about this time that my words got a bit slurred. I wasn't brave enough to go there.. I had enough with the storms. Singing that song meant that I had to go through another storm- another period of darkness. I will opt out of this one I'll just hum the song this time. For the entire week I skipped over parts of the Bible that even hinted darkness. I was reading Psalms 23 and I started off really well; God was providing for me, I was lying next to still waters and I was taking restored and righteous walks. Then came doom again- it was time to find another chapter and verse. My conversation with God that followed was a very frank one. Lord why should I trust salvation if i have to go through the same turmoil the unbeliever goes through? What's my WIIFM. If I trust you, What's In It For Me? It then occurred to me that though darkness was inevitable, it was short- lived. I flashed back to periods of darkness that I had come through to research the benefits of having God as my side-kick:

1. His presence confirmed that he would never leave me or forsake me, even when others 
   did.
2. He got the hook-up. During the time when I needed it most He would put me in the path of      
     people who made a difference in my life.
3. He created me, so He more than anyone else knows how to navigate me through my 
     storm. Who do we go to when our valuable electronic gadgets malfunction- the designer      
     right?
4. Even when I bring the darkness on myself, He is there and I don't have to hear " I told 
      you so". I can't count how many times I have turned off the lights myself one by one, 
      knowing that one night of bliss would result in a seemingly unending period of being lost.
     He is there waiting to give me directions, and He knows that despite my promise to stay
     out of trouble once He gets me out of my present one, He will be throwing out the                    
     life-saver raft again.

Every season of darkness helps me see the character of my God in a greater light. I have no choice but to trust Him.  
I can't swim so I don't get into the water without my noodle float. I am not about to go through my storms without Him.

Anonymous Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment