Soul Stimulation is not your average blog, its a resource of motivation for your soul (YOUR mind, YOUR will, YOUR emotions). Allow the articles, which are written by various writers, to incite your dormant places and excite your bored places. No matter your race, gender, religion, sexuality, or age...become reinvented as your soul becomes stimulated.



Contradicting Popular Opinion

"Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me. I don't care what people say about me."  Isn't it funny though that these statements often end a coversation you were carrying on with a friend, giving them a very colorful account of the very words someone said to you. The truth is unless you are emotionally paralyzed some words do tend to leave behind a lingering sting. As a matter of fact, other peoples words can negatively or positively alter our behavior in drastic ways.

At the age of seven I was diagnosed with Leukemia, and the illness consequently led to Chemotherapy and Radiation treatment. A year later I went into remission, and was able to go back to living the life of a somewhat normal child again. However, it was the doctor's responsibility to inform my parents of the unfortunate long-term symptoms of the treatment process. One of their predictions was that the radiation to my head would prohibit me from academically performing as a normal  child. As years went by, the time came for me to go to college, but I realized that my parents would take as many detours as they could when the topic came up. They tried to encourage me to attend a school where I could learn to cook, or sew, but I insisted that I wanted to go away to college. It was at this time that they revealed what the doctors had said, and their concern that I might not be able to perform at the college level. After I continued to insist they finally agreed. 

Here I was the first day of college. The day was finally here, but excitement was diluted with fear. I could not help but to replay the doctor's words in my head. I said I believed God would take me through, but I was shaking like a leaf. Will my brain shut down without a warning, or will it be a gradual process? How am I going to do this? I received my schedule of classes, and of course nosy upper class men/women asked to see my class assignments."Oh No", one interjects. "You have Jude, and you're a freshman? Man he failed so many students." Also in the office was another student announcing her intention to drop a class if this infamous instructor was teaching it. I stood there waiting for the hidden cameras to be revealed- I must have been punked! 

This man enters the class, and introduces himself, and ensures that all students know of his ability to fail, or drop anyone who does not hand in assignments that meet his standard. He never cracked a smile. Yep this is definitely a joke. What if my brain really starts shutting down. 0f course it was not long before one of his infamous exams rolled around, and the papers had been graded. He waved them from side to side voicing how disappointed he was.  One by one he began to pull apart each person's exam ensuring that at the end of his critique you would want nothing else but to crawl under the table. So guess who was not about to get in embarrassed when he got to their paper? It was time for a bathroom break- one that lasted about fifteen minutes, which gave him enough time to get past my paper. I re-entered the class room and everyone applauded as I stood there like a deer in headlights. He turned to me and stated that the quality of my work was higher than he ever expected. The paper sat on my desk with the red A+ stamped at the top.

Still nervous, I pushed through the semester fearful of what could happen with my brain.  But It was halfway though the semester when I decided not to allow myself to be a puppet to the doctor's words. I was going to conquer my contradictions. Though skilled in his profession, the doctor does not hold the remote for my destiny, God does. I did not recall any one-on-ones with God informing me that my brain which He created was no good. The last time I checked I was healed. Instead of expecting the worst I decided to take my God-given authority over the situation. I was going to do my best with every opportunity given to me. I wasn't an Einstein, significant portions of my day were devoted to studying. By the end of the first semester I had received a letter of congratulations for making the Dean's List.

I remained on the Dean's List for the duration of my college journey. The skeptics were proven wrong semester after semester, and my final two years were funded through an academic scholarship.  In May 2004, I was in my cap and gown with proud family members there to cheer me on. How did a dumb girl pull off a 3.98. GPA? I sat thinking, "what if I had succumbed to medical predictions?" 
I felt a nudge, and it was Jude (the infamous professor) who was seated on my left. I guess I was day dreaming. "You have to go up." I quickly jumped back into reality to realize that I had received the university's merit award. I got up from my chair and walked to the stage watched by thousands. I received the award and screeched my hand out to shake the hand of the dean. Refusing to settle for a handshake, he threw his arms around me, and reiterated "you did it."

Here is a challenge for you...
Take your bank card and give it to someone along with your PIN, then turn around and walk away. Better yet, the next time you go for a drive, have someone blindfold you. You drive, and let them direct you. Does this sound crazy? Even crazier is to allow someone's words to limit you from achieving what God has in store for you; your whole reason for living. 

Kentucky Fried Chicken, Colonel Sander's secret recipe, was rejected 1009 times before one restaurant finally gave him a chance. Sometimes we have to swim up-stream instead of going with the flow. LIVE ON PURPOSE!

SS Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment